Wednesday 5 August 2009

The elusive connection

The other night I danced with a elderly gentleman at a milonga. He had been sitting out for a lot of the evening but he caught my eye as I was returning from a dance and so we stepped up. Halfway through, the music changed to a milonga and he asked if I mind sitting it out. While we were watching the other dancers, he said that he had seen me dance earlier and felt I danced quite well but ‘who was my regular partner though?’ I explained that I didn’t have one and then confessed that as I still felt new to tango, I was eager to dance with most people as I felt I needed to get my ‘mileage’. ‘Ok then’, he said ‘then who do you dance with that you have a connection with?’

I couldn’t actually point out one particular tanguero and that got me thinking why some nights I seem to dance beautifully with someone and then another night, it’s as if we are speaking an entirely different language.

Have a look at the picture below:



I think this sums up the connection in the sense that it involves two separate unities being linked and creating something new, even if it is only temporary.

I also feel I have to include a video I found on Alex.Tango.Fuego's tango blog as it ties in quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment